- This event has passed.
2019 Olympia Zine Fest!
October 25 @ 6:30 pm - October 27 @ 3:00 pm PDT
It’s happening! Our 5th annual festival! Olympia Zine Fest is a convergence of creativity featuring over 75 tablers from near and far sharing their beautiful paper creations with you! Free, all ages, expo and other events hosted in accessible venues.
Bonus zine fest perks:
* Guests of honor Artnoose and Hope Amico
* DJ Domenica and DJ Meowrika
* SIX amazing workshops! (schedule and descriptions below)
* Screenprinting station with FREE on-demand OZF merch designed by featured artist Miss Jaws, printing courtesy of 115 Legion! Bring some clothing or a bag or whatever! We’ll have fabric for patches.
* A mindbogglingly amazing raffle with lots of local gift certificates, theater tickets, and lots of other schweet schwag
* A quiet reading area stocked with zines from folks who are tabling, labeled with table numbers for shopping ease
* An open zine swap at 2:30… trade your zines with attendees and tablers
* Sweet photo op background courtesy of organizer Signy
* All day zinemaking station with zine matriarch Carrie Born
* Youth tables with young folks aged 6-17 slinging their wares
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE! (scroll down for detailed workshop descriptions)
Workshop Room 101
Collage Comics: the Power of Pictures with Nicky Rodriguez 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
The Night Drawer Collaborative Zine Project with Freddy Dobler 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Family Storytime with Chris Sabatini from the Olympia Timberland Library 3:30 – 4:15
Workshop Room 102
Empathy Turtles with Jenna Rae Rudolph 11:00 am – 12 pm
Word Games: Poetry Workshop with Sady Sparks 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm
Let’s Do Suminagashi! with Naomi 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Collage Comics: the Power of Pictures with Nicky Rodriguez, 11:30 am-1:00 pm (room 101)
Make a collage zine using recycled/found images and words to construct a story of your choosing. Explore visual storytelling and the connotations of images, as well as the different ways the text-image relationship can be manipulated and utilized.
The Night Drawer Collaborative Zine Project with Freddy Dobler, 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm (room 101)
Make a collaborative zine right here at Zine Fest! In this fun and hands on workshop, we’ll pick a theme and everyone who attends will make a page for the zine by drawing, writing, collaging, or whatever. The zine will be compiled and everyone who contributed will get a copy! There will also be a short presentation of Drawing Night’s (Instagram: @thenightdrawer) weekly collaborative zine making project, as well as printing tips and tricks.
Family Storytime with Chris Sabatini from the Olympia Timberland Library, 3:30 – 4:15 (room 101)
Explore early literacy and have some good clean fun with stories, songs, and movement games for kids of all ages. Chris will read zine storybooks and distribute self-made coloring books and songbooks to participants.
Empathy Turtles with Jenna Rae Rudolph, 11:00 am – 12 pm (room 102)
A workshop about Empathy- what it is, why we need to feel it, and how to practice it. Through the creation of 2D and 3D turtles, we will collectively define and discuss empathy and engage in a shared experiment to help us better understand its purpose. Participants will have the opportunity to explore techniques that help develop empathy while maintaining personal boundaries. Outcomes will be fashioned into a zine that will be shared with participants.
Word Games: Poetry Workshop with Sady Sparks 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm (room 102)
Join Olympia’s Poet Laureate for a room full of word games! We’ll approach writing and words in a playful manner with erasure poetry, collage, prompts, and reading aloud. All experience levels lovingly invited to participate!
Let’s Do Suminagashi! with Naomi 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm (room 102)
Learn how to paper marble using Sumi ink and dish soap and walk away with a (slightly damp) marbled sheet.