- This event has passed.
“State and Local Efforts to Protect Immigrants’ Rights” — On your computer AND on TCTV
January 23 @ 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm PST
An event every week that begins at 9:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until January 30, 2020
“State and Local Efforts to Protect Immigrants’ Rights”
The January 2020 interview on “Glen’s Parallax Perspectives” TV series (also watchable anytime through Glen Anderson’s blog — SEE BELOW) brings you up to date on what has been happening to immigrants – and what people at the state and local levels are doing to solve the problems.
If you are a little fuzzy on understanding the problems and solutions, this program is for you. And if you are already well informed people will learn more. Also, everyone will be inspired and encouraged by the positive work that’s being done statewide and here in our local community.
Two knowledgeable guests who are helping to solve the problems discuss the problems and the solutions they are working on. Alejandra Hunt works for an immigration attorney in Olympia and volunteers with two local grassroots groups — Olympia’s Strengthening Sanctuary movement and CIELO. The Rev. Paul Benz is Co-Director of the statewide Faith Action Network, an interfaith, multi-issue non-profit organization that works for social justice in many ways, including through the Washington State Legislature.
Both guests explain in easy-to-understand ways information including:
• The problems existed before Trump came along and made them worse. We explain DACA, the “Dreamers,” the difficulty of refugees and people who need asylum, and other elements in the current crisis.
• The smart, compassionate actions of grassroots organizations, some local governments, and the Washington State government to help solve the problems.
• The sanctuary movement, including cities and religious congregations that have been providing safety for immigrants who are in danger.
• A significant victory in the 2019 Washington State Legislature and urge further progress when the 2020 legislative session begins on Monday January 13. We especially encourage people to participate in the rally at the State Capitol Steps at 12 noon on Wednesday February 5, as part of 2020’s Legislative Advocacy Day.
• Local Olympia area grassroots organizing and services through our Strengthening Sanctuary Alliance and CIELO
• Statewide efforts through the Faith Action Network and other advocacy organizations
Watch Powerfully Insightful and Important TV Programs
Through Your Computer or on TCTV
Cable TV subscribers in Thurston County can watch this interview on Thurston Community Television (TCTV) three times a week throughout the entire month: every Monday at 1:30 pm, every Wednesday at 5:00 pm, and every Thursday at 9:00 pm.
Everyone everywhere can watch this interview – and/or read a thorough summary of what we said (and additional information) – through Glen’s blog, www.parallaxperspectives.org. Each program and thorough summary are posted to the blog’s “TV Programs” category and one or more additional categories (in this case, the blog’s “Immigrants” category).
Questions? Contact Glen Anderson, the TV series’ producer/host at (360) 491-9093 email@example.com