What is Socialism: Perspectives
October 24 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PDT
There is growing support for socialism in the United States. For example, people under 30 prefer socialism to capitalism. At the same time, Trump promises to campaign for his reelection on the failure of socialism and tie the Democratic Party and their candidate to socialism. Our panelists representing three pro-socialist groups in Olympia, Economics for Everyone, the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), the Olympia Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) will discuss some of the following:
1. Your Perspective on Socialism and Why it is a Preferable Alternative to Capitalism
2. Will Socialism be democratic? How? Values of a Socialist Society.
3) Will everyone’s economic needs for food, daycare housing, health, education, transportation, communication, meaningful work, leisure and creativity be met? How? Will innovation be encouraged?
4) What is the relation between socialism and racism, sexism, homo and trans phobia and the environmental and climate crisis?
5) Does the Soviet Union, Venezuela prove the failure of socialism?
6) What does Bernie Sanders mean when he calls himself a democratic socialist? Is that different from your view and what you advocate for?
The panel on THURSDAY, October 24th, will answer these questions for an hour to be followed by an open discussion with those who attend. All welcome.