CALL TO ACTION – November 5
Note correction to date of TGIF Gathering below: November 10
This week: VOTE! Ballots must be turned in by Tuesday Nov. 7 – in 2 Days!
Only 15% of ballots for registered voters in Thurston County have reached the Auditor’s Office. IF YOU CAN”T FIND YOUR BALLOT, go to https://thurstoncounty.everyonecounts.com/page/557/1075 – you can get another one & fill it out on line & either submit or print it out to mail it. Remind your friends and neighbors this weekend to get their ballots in.
Combat Climate Change – Even The Trump Administration Now Acknowledges It Is Real And Caused By Human Activity
The Trump Administration just issued the National Climate Assessment on Friday, Nov. 3, a report mandated by law. Surprisingly the Administration did not prevent its release even though it is a dire report that identifies human activity as the cause of global warming.
- “The report affirms that climate change is driven almost entirely by human action, warns of potential sea-level rise as high as eight feet by the year 2100, and details climate-related damage across the United States that is already unfolding as a result of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit of global warming since 1900,” writes the Washington Post.
- “The report comes as Trump and members of his Cabinet are working to promote U.S. fossil-fuel production and repeal several federal rules aimed at curbing the nation’s carbon output, including ones limiting greenhouse-gas emissions from existing power plants, oil and gas operations on federal land and carbon emissions from cars and trucks.” (from Washington Post)
See article and report here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/11/03/trump-administration-releases-report-finds-no-convincing-alternative-explanation-for-climate-change/?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.add8849e0983
Senator Cantwell has long been a supporter of acting to stop the effects of climate change: https://www.cantwell.senate.gov/news/press-releases/cantwell-collins-release-gao-report-showing-climate-change-will-cost-the-government-trillions-of-dollars-
ACTION: Contact our MoCs and demand they publicly endorse the National Climate Assessment and that they demand the Administration act on this Assessment by developing a comprehensive plan to address climate change in the US and around the world.
Senator Patty Murray (253) 572-3636 Senator Maria Cantwell (253) 572-2281
Representative Denny Heck (360) 459-8514
Stop The GOP/Trump Tax Scam/ Tax Cuts for the Rich
Background: The Republican tax bill was released November 2nd. The bill will:
- Cut the top corporate tax bill to 20%
- Phase in a full repeal of the estate tax
- Eliminate the alternative minimum tax
- Provide very low tax rates to pass-through companies
- Collapse the existing seven tax brackets to four: 12%, 25%, 35%and 39.6%
- Make performance pay and commissions over $1 million no longerdeductible
- Double the standard deduction to $12,000 per individual and$24,000 per family
- Eliminate the personal exemption of $4,050
- Cut the mortgage interest deduction sharply for future mortgages
- Eliminate the deduction for state income and sales taxes
- Make medical expenses and property and casualty losses no longerdeductible
- Make changes to college savings programs
- Add a new 1.4% tax on university endowment income
The plan will require dramatic cuts in domestic spending ($660 billion over a decade), and even bigger cuts in entitlements (an estimated $1 trillion from Medicare and $500 billion from Medicaid), while increasing the deficit by an estimated $2.2 trillion over 10 years.
National Indivisible identifies the following dates for Congressional next steps:
Hold a committee mark up in House Ways & Means during the week of November 6
Hold a vote in the House during the week of November 13
Hold a committee mark up in Senate Finance during the week of November 13
Hold a vote in the Senate sometime during Thanksgiving week but before December 11
ACTION: Call our MoCs and ask them to oppose the Republican tax plan.
Script: Hi, my name is ____________, and I am a member of Olympia Indivisible. I want Representative/Senator ____________ to oppose the Republican tax plan. I do not support tax reform that gives to the rich and takes from the poor and middle class. Please fight to protect vital services and programs like Medicare and Medicaid. Thank you.
Stop The Trump Administration’s New Attempt to Undermine the ACA
The HHS Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have proposed a rule that includes a range of changes in how individual and small business ACA exchanges are run. The rule would give states broad latitude in carrying out the ACA’s 10 essential health benefits, categories of care that insurers on ACA exchanges must cover. The Research Report has more info – the short version – bad for Americans.
Action: Write a comment to CMS to oppose this rule. The rule and the link to make comments are available at: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/11/02/2017-23599/patient-protection-and-affordable-care-act-hhs-notice-of-benefit-and-payment-parameters-for-2019
Call our MoCs and urge them to oppose this rule.
Protect the Mueller Investigation into Russian Election Interference
Robert Mueller indicted Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign manager, and Rick Gates, Manafort’s business partner, on October 30. Both men pleaded not guilty to the charges. In addition, it has been disclosed that former Trump campaign foreign policy advisor, George Papadopoulos, pled guilty to lying to the FBI and is now cooperating with the Mueller investigation.
There are continued rumors that the Mueller investigation will be derailed by the Administration.
Republican lawmakers say they’re approaching the end of their investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election even though the most politically explosive issue, whether associates of President Donald Trump colluded with the Kremlin, remains unresolved.
Action: Write and call John McCain, Bob Corker, Ben Sasse and Jeff Flake to ask them to work to keep the focus of the Senate investigations on the Russian efforts to undermine our democracy. While the Congress has the authority to do any investigations it wants, the threat to future elections comes from Russian election meddling and nothing should undermine congressional efforts to investigate what they have done, what they could do and how to counter it.
John McCain (202) 224-2235 www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form
Bob Corker (202) 224-3344 www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailme
Ben Sasse (202) 224-4224 www.sasse.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-ben
Jeff Flake (202) 224-4521 www.flake.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-jeff
- Write and call our MoCs, especially Denny Heck, to encourage them to continue to work to expose what Russia did in the 2016 election, continues to do and is likely to do in the future, and to examine whether the clear interest in collusion by the Trump campaign ended in actual collusion.
- Contact our MoCs to ask them to speak publicly in support of the independence and the continuance of the Mueller investigation. https://www.indivisible.org/resource/protecting-democracy-cant-fire-mueller/
Read This Week’s Research Report and find other important actions to take this week.
- The Trump Administration is considering sharp increases in entrance fees to 17 of the most popular national parks during peak season. Make comments on the National Park Service comment page through November 23. The link to that page is at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?documentID=83652
Write or make calls to our MoCs opposing this increase. We support increased funding for national park maintenance and oppose budget cuts for the national parks.
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee held a highly contentious hearing on November 2, 2017 on opening parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, north of the Brooks Range in Alaska, to oil drilling.
Call our MoCs to oppose this move. Focus especially on Maria Cantwell, the ranking minority member of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee. Other Democratic members on the committee include Ron Wyden of Oregon, Bernie Sanders, and Al Franken
- The scale of the disasters in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands requires far more aid, and a stronger federal disaster response, especially to get the electricity grids on all the islands back up and running.
Call to thank our MoCs for voting to support more aid to disaster areas. Ask them to push for more aid to help the ongoing crises in Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.
- Support a clean Dream Act.
Call out MoCs “I’m from …. and am calling to ask for you to co-sponsor a clean Dream Act. We need to ensure that immigrant youth can continue to go to school, work and serve in the military.”
- Fair elections and secure convenient voting.
- Call our MoCs. I am calling about transparency in internet ads. S 1989 and HR 4077. I would like … to co-sponsor this bill and bring more transparency to groups that fund US political ads.
Nov. 10 Friday (6-8 pm)
Olympia Indivisible Members TGIF Gathering!
Bring your ideas for making America better! Three Magnets Brewery 600 Franklin St. Olympia.
SAVE THE DATE OI Membership December Meeting
What: “Safeguarding Our Elections: Gerrymandering and Trump’s Election Integrity Commission“- presentation by Mary Hall, Thurston County Auditor. Questions and answers at the end.
When: Monday, December 4
Time: 7 – 8:30 p.m., Doors open 6:30 pm
Where: Room 152, Building 1, Thurston County Courthouse, – enter room from west side parking lot.